The 304 / 304L grade of austenitic chromium-nickel stainless steel pipes are the most versatile and widely used steel piping products. Type 304 / 304L stainless steel is a very low carbon steel that exhibits excellent corrosion resistance. Also, it offers superior resistance to intergranular corrosion following welding or stress relieving. Besides, the 304 and 304L type grades exhibit good machinability and excellent weld-ability characteristics with or without filler metals.
304 / 304L Stainless Steel Pipe Properties
Below are the properties of 304 / 304L stainless steel pipes offered by Arch City Steel & Alloy, Inc.:
- Tough metallic properties
- High corrosion protection
- High temperature resistance
- Ability to be sterilized
- High workability and machinability
- Easily welded by all commercial processes
- Resultant weld has good toughness and ductility
- High annealing range, between 1850° and 2050°F
- Non-magnetic in the annealed condition
- Not hardened by heat treatment
- Hardness and tensile strength can be increased by cold working
- Cold working may cause slight magnetism
- Good wall tolerance and straightness tolerance
- Cost-effective choice for most applications
Applications of 304 / 304L Stainless Steel Pipes
304 Stainless Steel Pipe is most suited for applications where superior strength and excellent corrosion resistance is required. 304 / 304L stainless steel seamless pipes are widely accepted in food processing, water treatment, petrochemical, diary, and chemical industries for moving fluids and gases. Welded 304 / 304L stainless steelpipe is ideally used for posts, and poles as well as handrails, in exterior and marine applications. 304 / 304L pipes find extensive use in applications requiring welding, machining, grinding, forming, and polishing.
Because of their durable mill finish and interior welded seam, these pipes are widely used for projects that are exposed to chemical, acidic elements, fresh water, and salt water environments.
|Typical Chemical Composition % (max values, unless noted)|
|Weight %||Carbon (C)||Manganese (Mn)||Phosphorus (P)||Sulfur (S)||Silicon (Si)||Chromium (Cr)||Nickel (Ni)|
|Typical Room Temperature Mechanical Properties|
|Type||UTS KSI (MPA)||0.2% YS KSI (MPA)||Elongation% in 2ʺ(50.8 mm)||HardnessRockwell|
|304||90 (621)||42 (290)||55||B82|
|304L||85 (586)||35 (241)||55||B80|
If you want to know more about the product or inquiry for the product then please click here.